For the first time, Australian votes count. Here is an introduction to Eurovision voting – a legendary procedure that is nearly as eccentric as the performances themselves.
Viewers in all 40 participating countries, including Australia, can vote for their favourite songs in the Eurovision Semi-Finals and Grand Final by televoting, which makes up 50% of the total vote. For complete fairness, countries cannot vote for themselves (sorry Guy!) The other 50% of the vote comes from the National Juries. Who is in the Australian Eurovision jury?
The video below explains what happens with your vote in the Eurovision Song Contest.
The Australian telephone and SMS numbers will be announced 24 hours before the first Semi Final (Tuesday May 19).
How are votes calculated?
Viewers at home and professional juries each determine half of the outcome of the two Semi-Finals and the Grand Final of the Eurovision Song Contest. In each Semi-Final, 10 contestants qualify for the Final.
- Viewers are invited to vote via telephone and/or SMS. The voting window opens after the last song has been performed, and ends 15 minutes later. Televoters determine 50% of the outcome.
- Professional juries in all countries that are taking part in or were allocate to that particular event are required to vote. They also determine 50% of the outcome. The jury, which consists of five members (including a chairperson), is the same jury that will vote in the Final.
- The EBU will determine the national result by merging these two ranked lists, and will award 12 points to the country with the best combined rank of the jury and the televoting, then 10 points to country with the second-best combined rank, etc. The country ranked 10th in the combined ranking receives 1 point.
- Since traditionally only 12, 10 and 8-1 points are being given, countries ranked outside of the top-10 do not receive points. Also, televoters and juries cannot vote for the country they represent.
- If there is a tie between two or more songs in the combined ranking between televotes and the jury, the song that obtain a better ranking from the televote will prevail over the other.